Sound is a crucial aspect of any production. Both the lack and abundance of it should be a deliberate decision made when creating a scene. Whether to use music or not was a question I have asked myself throughout the stages of this project. However, I believe having music is likely to be the best idea for me. For this reason, I will be searching through multiple royalty-free websites to pick some options for my project.
I used the following websites:
What I Need/The Mood:
Music/sound is essential to establishing the tone and mood of a scene. Since my opening is all about creating mystery, the music should add to that feeling. However, I am still able to lean my mystery into multiple sub-tones. I could create a lighter, almost happy mystery or I could make it somber and creepy. I believe I'm gonna lean into the lighter category of options, but I still wanna explore all my options before settling on any conclusions.
My Options:
After searching through three websites (the two previously mentioned and bulletproofbear.com for which I need to be verified) I only found 4 viable options. (It could be 8 if bulletproofbear verifies my account)
Curse of the Dolls - Purple Planet
Pros: It is mysterious, sad but with a hint of playfulness, i like the flow of tension and believe it could fit with my timeline, long enough for the intro (a few seconds short but that shouldn't be too hard to deal with).
Cons: Might be too creepy.
Spellcraft - Purple Planet
Pros: It is also mysterious, leans into the playfulness even more, has a fantastical/magical mood, I also like the progression of the mood and believe it could fit with the actions happening on screen, it is long enough for the intro.
Cons: Might be too whimsical, could feel like a true fantasy rather than a magical realism.
Magical Storytime - Purple Planet
Pros: I like the way it still feels mysterious while establishing that she is good.
Cons: Might be too happy, definitely too short.
November - Bensound
Pros: I like the way it kind of leans into the calm sadness, still mysterious, it is less overwhelming than the other songs, definitely long enough.
Cons: Might be too slow/not progress well with the story, might be too sad.
Decisions:
So far my personal favorite option is Spellcraft, it is mysterious yet whimsical and sets the right tone for the scene, although the ghost is sad, she is doing something that makes her happy and gives her hope. The other two Purple Planet songs have too much going on for my liking. Surprisingly, given that it's a polar opposite, November is a close second option and I might still play with both options once I start editing
So What?
None of the songs I was able to list perfectly captured the vibe I am going for with this intro. Bulletproofbear has a few options that were better fits than either Spellcraft or November, if my account gets approved I will dissect these options in a future blog post. I honestly believe I will probably be using Spellcraft, and I am pretty content with it. Next week I need to finish editing and work on my CCR.
No comments:
Post a Comment