Let me start off by saying that I did not expect to make a blog post about this topic alone. that being said, it took me multiple days to figure out a successful method to sort through and download my 100 shots. Because of the time and effort spent on this usually simple step, and all the lessons I learned along the way, I thought it appropriate to dissect the process.
Method #1 - Whatsapp
On Monday I started the process of sending all the clips I took through WhatsApp to then download them on my computer through https://web.whatsapp.com/. This Method worked just fine at first, but by the time I was done downloading all of the clips, I became afraid that not all clips had successfully transferred.
On Wednesday I counted all the clips and realized that only half of them were downloaded on my computer. (I am unsure of why this was). Not only did I have a lower number of clips already, but multiple clips had multiple duplicates. At first, not wanting to start over, I started skimming clip-by-clip and comparing it to the clips I had, to know what I was missing. This quickly proved to be too time-consuming and I decided that starting over would be a better idea. However, I knew I had too many clips for email, which is my usual method, to work.
Method #2 - WeTransfer Website
On Thursday, after asking some friends how they shared the clips, I found WeTransfer. I tried using the website on Safari. Hypothetically speaking, given that my files were less than 2GB in size total, (the max on the website) all of the clips should've been able to be transferred on one zip file. However, my phone spent hours processing the clips just for them to not upload multiple times.
Method #3 - WeTransfer App
On Friday, after discussing the previous days' events with the friend who had suggested the website, she recommended trying the app. She also recommended dividing my clips into sections so they could load faster. Since I was already planning on organizing my clips by timeline order, I decided to start the separation then and divided my files into 6 groups: B-roll, Box, Bunny, Drawer, Sowing, and Bunny 2. This method was successful, and within an hour, all the clips were downloaded into my computer.
Sorting Through it:
I spent another hour sorting through the clips I had downloaded, deleting the outtakes, and naming each file, to make my life easier once I start editing.
So What?
This step took way longer than I could afford for it to take, but I did learn some lessons. #1 - Don't use WhatsApp to download clips. #2 - Don't underestimate how long it takes for any step, even when it seems easy (this lesson is easier in theory than practice to follow). #3 - Divide huge projects into sections when transferring the clips. I have officially ran out of time this week to be able to start editing. I plan on coming up with a title and finding a song for the background this weekend. I don't have a lot of time left for this project, but luckily I still have spring break and I will spend the first half editing and finalizing the project, and the second half making my CCR. I believe I will still be able to complete my project in time.







No comments:
Post a Comment