Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Why I Love Storytelling

We watched Andrew Stanton's Ted Talk about storytelling in class Today. This is one of the most inspiring videos, in terms of writing advice, that I have watched in a long time (and as an aspiring writer, I see many.) 

My Notes:

TLDR:

  • Make the audience care about the story.
  • Promise them that it is worth their time.
  • Keep that promise.
  • Don't spoon feed your audience, let them work for it.
  • Every character has something that makes them wake up in the morning.
  • Invoking wonder is the purest form of storytelling.
  • Draw from what you know.
Overall:
Storytelling advice should work as a guideline not as a rule to always be followed. This advice, although at times almost instinctual though, is helpful. Stories need heart, characters need flaws, themes need to be weaved into the story. I believe that if I remember this advice, if I am able to implement this into my stories, both now and in the future, I will become a better writer, a better story teller. This is one of those videos I plan on rewatching over and over to not forget it's message.
Key take away for this project, the intro has to promise the audience that it will be worth their time to keep watching, that they will care. I have to keep this in mind during all stages of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

I'm officially done with my CCR! Click here to watch my first CCR-An Interview Click here to watch my second CCR-Production Presentation...