Friday, February 23, 2024

The Subgenres - A Summary

Coming of age

Coming of age movies usually center around a teen/young adult character going through a major shift/milestone in their life. Commonly explored themes include youth, growing up, and maturation. Character growth, dialogue and social commentary are all major components of the coming of age genre.

Examples:

  • The Breakfast Club (1985) 

  • Moonlight (2016) 

  • Ladybird (2017) 

Sources:

Wikipedia

StudioBinder

MasterClass

 

Dramedy

According to tvtropes.org "'Dramedy' is a neologism formed from a combination of the words Drama and Comedy to describe a genre of film and television... blurring genre lines to combine comedy and drama elements in a consistent fashion." It is an equal blending of both genres. Dramedy plots focus on character development and inner conflict/emotions.

Examples:
  • La La Land (2016) 

  • Juno (2007) 

  • The Truman Show (1998) 

So what?
As of now the ghost represents the need to have other people there for you as they grow up and go through changes. The need for friends. The story centers around the girl (I will be naming her soon) and her growing up, hence it would be a coming of age. The story would also merge comedy and drama and (despite the magical realism) depict a realistic life of a teen girl. Life is neither solely dramatic nor solely comedic, and for that reason it could be described as a dramedy. Despite these subgenres, I believe magical realism is the genre I should explore and research the most as it is the most abstract and I expect it to have the more interesting technical trends that could help inspire my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

I'm officially done with my CCR! Click here to watch my first CCR-An Interview Click here to watch my second CCR-Production Presentation...