Today is the beginning of our portfolio projects. We have 8 weeks to produce and document (through thus vlog) the production of a 2-minute intro for a feature film. I am still brainstorming my specific genre or possible plot for my intro, however, I'm leaning towards coming of age, romance and drama since those are the genres that I am the most familiar with.
We learned that there are multiple different approaches to film openings.
I am leaning towards developing the characters, especially if I chose a coming of age or romance films since those tend to be character driven, and making the audience connect to the characters early on in the film helps to guarantee that the audience will be engrossed in the story till the end. If I were to pick this approach I'd mainly have to focus on the mise-en-scene through the costuming, makeup and props, and the dialogue and interactions of the character(s) being introduced. All of these choices should be extremely purposeful to who the characters are and what their purpose in the story is.
Another option would be to focus on establishing the tone, especially if I chose to go through the drama film route. This choice is especially appealing to me as lighting and color schemes are crucial to setting the tone of a film and I particularly enjoy lighting and playing with colors when completing creative visual projects. I find it fascinating how certain colors elicit and are connected to emotional responses, such as red signifying both love/lust and anger since both emotions come with passion.
Overall, I am extremely excited to begin this project and I cannot wait to see how it turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment